Interesting stuff from all around the web:
Woodworking & Luthier:
- DavidReedSmith – woodturning
- Project Electric Guitar – how to build your own guitar!
- http://www.duplicarver.ru/ – simple wood copy machine
- Freatboard Journal Podcast
- Craftsmanspace – various diy plans and templates
- OpenDesk – open source furniture
Valve amplifier design:
- Novotone – Wonderful assortment of tube amplifiers and other related projects
- http://dhost.info/jschem/t7/ – Modular amplifier
- http://members.optusnet.com.au/batwingsoup/builds/tone.htm – Tonestack overview
- Preamp Mods
Tube amplifiers schematics:
- Blue Guitar – Amplifier,tweak and effect schematics
- Novotone – Beautiful Belgian amplifier projects
- Hoffman – Great schematics and layout of classic tube amplifiers
- Gretsch Amplifier Schematics
- Deluxe micro
- VOX AC4 Mods
Education in electronics
- https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/ – electronics theory in depth
- https://paktechpoint.com/ – educational repository of motor and engineering
- Eagle – Schematics and PCB creation software with good support
- XNView – Basic image edditing, for PCB creation:
- Circuits-cloud – Free circuit simulator
- Douglas-Self – Ballanced Line Explained
- Oberlin.edu – Information on spring reverbs
- LenardAudio – An educational article about audio transformers and much more
- Giangrandi – great article on troubleshooting and repairing SMPS
- Uneeda-Audio – all about pads!
- Resonant Filters
- Arduino + LabView = Voltmeter
- Ovni Labs – probably the best audio related FAQ
- Tubes 201 – how vacuum tubes really work?
- Tube Types – comprehensive info about vacuum tubes, check out the main site full of useful basics with photos! Wow!
- NASA Worksmanship Standards – speaks for itself
- http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/aleph-x.html – amplifier construction and debugging
Here are some useful links for effect pedal building:
- EffectsLayouts – Still going strong, good per-fboard designs
- La Revolution Deux – Second revolution for guitar effects and amplifiers enthusiasts
- Solderman.Fatabur – Collection of effects that fit Hammond 1590A
- Sound DIY – Great French site, not only for guitar effects!
- B K Buttler – B K Buttler Tube driver, very neat looking overdrive guitar pedal
- RunOffGroove – tested guitar effects and sound clips
- AnalogGuru – database of guitar effect schematics
- 6079smith – great collection of guitar effects
- Technology of Fuzz Face – watch out for germanium transistors!
- H&G Amplifiers – fuzz and overdrive schematics, simple and effective!
- Electro Smash – guitar pedal analysis, very very very interesting and useful!
- AMZ-FX – guitar effect, pickup, preamplifier and other projects
- Paul In The Lab – great stripboard layouts and lab projects
- BigMuffPiPage – ultimate Big Muff Page
- BurrSettles – awesome github collection of pedal projects
- BSS elektronika – great hungarian website for guitar effect building
- Paul In The Lab – gre
Pre-printed circuit boards, plans and kits, circuit diagrams:
- Guitar PCB – boards and some parts
- Build Your Own Clone – kits, boards and parts
- General Guitar Gadgets – kits, boards and parts
- Tonepad – great source for circuit diagrams, and boards
- MAMMOTH Electronics – all in one DIY kits
Useful circuit diagrams, etc:
- Analog Guru – Assortment of guitar effects schematics
- AresAudio – DAC, Tube, Amplifier designs, great quality!!!
- Pisotones – Big Muff, now a historical artifact
- BigMuffPage – All about Big Muff
- AMZ – excellent resource from Jack Orman, one of the pioneers of DIY pedal building
- DIY Stompboxes – Great forums and blog
- Fuzz Central – fuzz, wah, compressors, tremolos. Lots of good info.
- GEOFex – los of useful resources
- gaussmarkov: diy fx – some excellent intro resources for pedal circuits
- Beavis Audio – more good guitar effects projects and resources.
- Topopiccione – great guitar effects you can’t find anywhere else
- DIY Hi-Z Buffer – design considerations for FETs
- Adams Amps – various tonestack overview
- EffectsLayouts – wonderful and various perfboard layouts!
- Paul In The Lab – Great collection of audio and other helpful stuff
- Fulltone OCD – excellent overdrive pedal
- ProCo RAT – Mods from Ruetz and Beavis Audio
- MadBeanPedals – Collection of interesting effects and PCB to buy
- RadioShack Electronics Learning Lab – great for prototyping circuits
- Project Ryu – slows down the attack of guitar
- Effect Layouts – Protoboard layouts of a lot of effects
- CODA Effects
- Revolution Deux
- HEXE Guitar
Recording & Microphones:
- Sound Diffusers – Design for sound diffusers, great help
- Mic Preamp Thread – different DIY microphone preamp threads
- Weak Joe Compressor – Optical compressor using op-amps, PCB included
- Preservation Sound – Keeping the music technology history alive!
- Sdiy – microphone schematics
- Pultec EQP1A – Kit for the Pultec Equalizer, also lots of source documents for build
- AudioImprov – a lot of useful microphone info, check out the archive!
- Wintage windings – cool projects for guitar, bass and recording studio
- Easera – Great measurment software
Guitar Building and Repair:
- Mr Glyn – Guitar repair blog
- Audio Artillery – Archtop guitar repairs, lap steel builds, and related
- Crawls Backward – Great guitar repair blog, with lots of photos
- Spray Gun Setup – A must read for first time sprayers!
- Crawls Backwards – guitar repairs with great photos and descriptions
- Project Telecastie – Telecaster build from printed plans, no CNC.
- LevySoundDesign – Interesting guitar designs
- http://www.guitarfetish.com – Quality guitar parts for good price
- Warmoth – Good info on guitar and bass bodies and necks
- Electric Herald
- Telecaster Project
- Alex Navarro
- Dirty Toys Pedals
- Speaker foam repair – how to repair speaker surround
- GroupDiy – Lively group of audio diy-ers!
- Free Stompboxes – If you are an effect builder you have to be a member!
- DIY Stompboxes – If you are an effect builder you have to be a member!
LabView / Arduino resources:
- Macintosh Garden – a place where old mac software stuff just blossoms
- ARTA – Audio Measurements and Analysis Software
- MAELSTROM – One of the all time classics, runs on almost all operating systems since the 90s.
- GeekMomProjects – Sewing, Mindstorms…
CNC and Mechanics:
- Maslow – A big CNC wood router cutter
- 3D Digitizer Arm here and here
- FlatCam – Great Cam software for PCB milling
- CNC guitars
- RoboDK – Program any industrial robot
- Feeds and Speeds Calculator